Rise of the Superuser


Cloud, Collaboration and Unified Communications. These terms are nothing new to IT but have you ever stopped to think about the users of cloud – the human side of cloud? The impact future ways of working are having on your employees and end users?

With technology moving at such a rapid pace, understanding those at the other end of the technology is crucial to maximising your investment in new collaboration tools and cloud-based technologies.



Cloud, Collaboration and Unified Communications. These terms are nothing new to IT but have you ever stopped to think about the users of cloud – the human side of cloud? The impact future ways of working are having on your employees and end users?

With technology moving at such a rapid pace, understanding those at the other end of the technology is crucial to maximising your investment in new collaboration tools and cloud-based technologies.

About the Study

Telstra commissioned Vanson Bourne, an independent specialist in market research, to undertake the research upon which this report is based. In total, 675 IT decision makers were interviewed from multinational organisations in five countries. Respondents work for organisations in the private sector with 250 or more employees.

This research was commissioned to evaluate what role end users play in the demand for collaboration tools in modern enterprises. What challenges are organisations facing when trying to implement end user demands? Can cloud-based solutions such as Unified-Communication-as-a-Service help bring global enterprises closer together? Are there any benefits to using cloud solutions and if so, what are they?

What are Superusers?

The research results highlighted two distinct respondent groups: 'superuser organisations (superusers)' and 'traditional organisations'. Superusers have been identified as using over half of the available collaboration tools to enable the organisation to embrace remote working.

Superusers are more aware of the current technology available for their organisation and are more aware of how these solutions can benefit them. Most importantly, superusers are more likely to have either adopted solutions to enable the business to adapt to end users' expectations of the modern workplace environment, or will be in the process of doing so.

In the research sample, 42% are in the superusers group and the remaining 58% are considered to be traditional organisations. 14% of all respondents are classified as ‘extreme superusers’ - those who say that all collaboration tools enabling them.



Telstra is Australia’s leading telecommunications and information services company, offering a full range of communications services and competing in all telecommunications markets.