Global expansion further bolsters Equinix’s electronic trading ecosystem in Japan
Tokyo—December 16, 2014— Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, announced that LMAX Exchange, the first Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regulated MTF for foreign exchange spot transaction, has launched a matching engine in Equinix’s International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in Tokyo (TY3). Given the success of its matching engine in Equinix’s London data center (LD4/5), LMAX Exchange is adding a matching engine in Japan, a major milestone in global expansion for the company. It will give brokers, asset managers, funds and banks in Asia Pacific access to LMAX Exchange at execution speed of less than 4ms.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Tokyo ranks as a leading foreign exchange hub globally, recording a daily average of $372.7 billion in foreign exchange trading, including spot transactions, futures, currency swaps and options, according to data from the Tokyo Foreign Exchange Market Committee . As the world's third-largest currency-trading center, accounting for over 40% of the global retail FX volumes, foreign exchange transactions in the Tokyo market are high.
- LMAX Exchange delivers exchange style, visible liquidity and committed pricing, with low latency execution and complete trading transparency to both buy and sell-side institutions. With a remarkable three-year growth of 307.8 percent in annual sales, Japan represents a key market for the LMAX Exchange, as it continues to focus on the successful execution of its global growth strategy.
- By launching a matching engine in TY3, LMAX Exchange joins the growing community of leading financial institutions in Equinix data centers around the globe. The expansion by LMAX Exchange further enhances Equinix’s global electronic trading ecosystem, providing the interconnection options that companies need to meet business demands.
- Strategically located within Tokyo’s city center, TY3 offers LMAX Exchange the advantage of close proximity to major financial exchanges in Japan, as well as liquidity providers and institutional investors who are increasingly adopting cross-asset trading execution strategies, including FX. Close proximity to the Japan Exchange and Tokyo Commodity Exchange combined with access to the broadest choice of networks in the region, enables LMAX Exchange to deliver consistent low latency (under four milliseconds) to its customers in Asia Pacific.
- Given the success of its matching engine in Equinix London data center (LD4/5), LMAX Exchange decided to expand its footprint with Equinix in Japan to meet the growth of its customer base in Asia-Pacific and ensure its customers benefit from the same low-latency trading environment.